Okay, weird headline, I know.
But remember it really beats the alternative!
I’m alive today because of amazing support, medical experts, and cancer breakthroughs.
And there’s no better time than #WorldCancerDay to shout that from hilltops.
So here we go.
My case is an example of what’s possible with breakthrough treatment and excellent care. We share the “Team Crafty” story because …
1) we can help show people what’s possible and share some hope
2) we know that millions worldwide need access to both basic and better cancer care
3) cancer really sucks and we all should do all we can to keep others off this bad #$&% mountain!
We welcome you to share our story with anyone you know in the cancer community.
Amazing things are always possible when we support each other and cancer breakthroughs.
Some Really Special Messages And Pics From Around The Team
UCSF Health – Social Media
This was such a great boost and very special honor to receive on World Cancer Day. After all I credit UCSF with keeping me rolling. It’s really me who should be honoring them!
Healthcare Heroes at UCSF Parnassus Hospital
Can you spot the angels in this picture? They are the ones behind the bears, sunglasses and t-shirts. Last week we dropped off some special treats for our incredible nursing crew at UCSF Parnassus. This team carried me through the clinical trial treatment for 10 days on the “12-Long” Floor. It was a really, really long stay and they made me feel right at home – even bringing a spin bike into my hospital room! Thank you Alana and team! Each and every one one you of are members of Team Crafty for life!
Cancer Research – Team Crafty Fundraising Update
We’re establishing a new award with Conquer Cancer Foundation that is going to recognize promising cancer researchers. It’s called the Trailblazers Merit Award and it’s going to be awarded EVERY YEAR starting in June 2022. We’re about 1/2 way to our goal and we welcome you to join us.
- Conquer Cancer Foundation is the nonprofit arm of ASCO – the American Society of Clinical Oncology which has 45,000+ members.
- The Conquer Cancer Merit Awards are very important and highly regarded in the cancer community. Three (3) of my world-class UCSF doctors are past Merit Award winners. This is really a career-shaper and research concepts presented get routed quickly by ASCO for serious consideration and review in the medical community.
- Candidates for the “Trailblazers Merit Award” are researchers worldwide working on solutions for solid tumor cancers like mine (colorectal), along with colon, liver, lung and head & neck cancers.
- This is a really timely effort. Just this week you may have seen the big news about 2 clinical trial patients who were declared ‘cured’ of leukemia. This is HUGE NEWS.! Both were part of a CAR-T clinical trial for blood cancer that started 10 years ago. If CAR-T sounds familiar it should … That’s the same technology now buzzing through yours truly. Many news reports of this breakthrough carried closing paragraph stating the next big challenge is to make this kind of solution work for solid tumors. That’s where our Trailblazer Award is aimed. So this fundraising effort is really in step with what the worldwide cancer community needs.